What you should do before you make your move.
7-8 weeks before move
- Create a “move file” to keep track of estimates, receipts and other important information.
- Gather all necessary legal and financial documents.
- Phone insurance agent to see if any changes are required to your new policy.
- Begin packing items you don’t use often, such as seasonal clothing.
- Start collecting boxes and moving supplies. Don’t have enough? Don’t worry. The Storage Company has moving & packing boxes and supplies to make your move easy.
3-4 weeks before move
- File a change of address with Canada Post.
- Schedule the disconnection of all utility services at your old home, and connection of them at your new one.
- Cancel your subscription or change your address with newspapers and magazines.
1-2 weeks before move
- Pack “essentials” box and “last load” items.
- Plan meals to use up your food you will not be able to take with you.
- Create a folder with important information about your house for the new home owner. Include special instructions and manuals to work appliances, alarms, etc.
Day of move
- Check every room, closet and cupboard one last time.
- Take utility metre readings.
- Leave a note with your new address in the house so next residents can forward mail as needed.